Ingredient: Resource from Provisions: The Roots of Caribbean Cooking Cookbook
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh or frozen grated unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1. Sift together the flour and salt. Mix in the coconut
2. In another bowl, beat the butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy about 4 minutes.
3. Add the flour mixture and mix well to form a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 325F. Roll out the dough into a 9x13 inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Slice the dough lengthwise into 4 equal slices and then crosswise into 6 equal slices. This will give you 24 pieces.
5. Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between each cookie. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
6. Remove from the pan and cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the shortbread with the remaining 2 tbsps sugar.