Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 30 mins Yield: Serves 4
For the marinade
2 lbs Chicken pieces
1 cup Buttermilk
(or dairy free soy or rice beverage + 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
¼ tsp Paprika
For the breading
1 ½ cup All purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
1 cup Plain bread crumbs or Panko
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Black pepper
½ cup Buttermilk
(or ½ cup dairy free soy or rice beverage +1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
3 tbsp Butter, (or vegan margarine) cut into small cubes
1. Combine the chicken with all of the marinade ingredients. Place into a ziplock bag and seal tightly. Rub the marinade all around to ensure the chicken pieces are evenly coated. Place into a bowl, in case of leakage, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight. The longer the chicken marinades, the better the flavor.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F.
3. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the garlic powder, paprika , salt, and black pepper.
4. Set up breading station. 1 bowl with the flour, 1 bowl with the buttermilk (or dairy free beverage). 1 bowl with the seasoned bread crumbs. 1 baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. First dip the chicken into the flour. Shake off any excess flour.
6. Then dip the floured chicken into the buttermilk (or dairy free beverage). Use a slotted spoon to take out the chicken (this will prevent your fingers from getting too sticky)
7. Allow the excess milk to drip off the chicken then dip it into the breadcrumb mixture.
8. Coat chicken with the breadcrumbs then lay chicken onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. They can be close together but not touching.
9. Put a couple of pieces of butter (or vegan margarine) onto each piece of chicken. This will give it a nice golden color and make it crispy in the oven.
10.Bake for 10 minutes, turn over to brown the other side, about 5 minutes more.
11.Let cool and enjoy with 5 minute BBQ Sauce.